basic web page for your site
1) Make sure the "Content" tab is selected.
2) Find your website folder under the "_WEBSITES" folder. NOTE: If you do not see your website folder, please submit an IT Help Request via Web Help Desk to request a folder be setup for your website. Please list the UMES email addresses of those needing access to edit and create content for the site as a part of the ticket request.
3) You should see a ROOT folder for your website and 2 Sub-Folders called "Content" and "Pages" just beneath the main ROOT folder for your website.
- The "Content" folder is where all content for the website is saved / edited. Any Text, Images, Documents Etc is maintained in this folder. Basic web pages are created here.
- The "Pages" folder is where we assemble and create the actual web pages that contain and link to for advanced pages and features which link multiple items in the "Content" folder for the websiteon a single page.
4) Click on the "Content" folder"
5) In the next step, we will create some content for our webpage and then assemble the page together using the page builder toolsa basic page for the website.
6) Select "New" --> "HTML Content"
7) Enter a "Title" for the web content item and some text.
8) Once your are done entering your content, click "PUBLISH"
9) Next, we will begin to create the actual web page for our website.10Done! You should see a new item in the "Content" Folder with the "Title" you entered in step 7.
Creating an advanced web page for your site
1) Click the Pages folder for your website. In the example below, my website is called "SampleWebsite".
112) Click "NEW" --> "Page Layout"
123) Two page builder layout templates have been created to assist in building the overall webpage presentation.
- There is a "Content with Tabs" style layout (Example) that you can start with OR
- You can Select the "Content with Banner" layout (Example) that provides for a rotating banner at the top of the page (The rotating banner is an optional feature, but you must select the appropriate template for your page, if you wish to use one)
134) For this example, I will select "ContentWithBanner.aspx" and click "Next"
145) Give the webpage a "Title" and check "Content Searchable" NOTE: Since this is the actual webpage, we will mark it as "Content Searchable"
156) Click "Next"
167) Click the "Summary" Tab and enter a short summary of the description of the information to be on the web page. NOTE: We are not using the Metadata tab at this time.
178) Click "Finish"
189) You should see the below message. Click "OK" to go to the page builder tool and to begin assembly of the web page.
1910) You will be directed to a webpage that looks like the below. You will notice there is an "Ektron toolbar" at the top of the page which has some functions to edit the page.
2011) Click the "design" button and the "PageBuilder" toolbar will appear.
2112) Click "Widgets" to retrieve the list of available widgets to add to the page.
2213) You can click and drag the "PageBuilder" dialog box anywhere on the screen or close it out at any time by choosing the X icon.
2314) Click the "Content Block" Widget and then click "Place Here" where the content block should appear on the page. For this example, I will place the content block widget in the center of the page.
2415) Once that's done, when you hover your mouse over the region where you placed the content block widget, you will see the content block is there with some additional options:
- Click the "Pencil" Icon to "Edit" the content block.
2516) The content block widget dialog box displays. Next, we will browse to the HTML content block we created in step 6 above.
2617) In this example, I browse to the "SampleWebsite --> Content" Folder. Click on the HTML content block created in Step 6. and click "Save".
2718) You'll see that the content block has been inserted on the page.
2819) If you would like to edit the HTML text of the content block, you can do so via the workarea OR by:
- Click "content" at the top of the Ektron toolbar. this changes the page to content mode rather than design mode.
- Content mode allows you to edit and make changes to the actual content (text, images, etc) of the page widgets.
- Design mode allows you to change the layout and positioning of the widgets that contain the content.
- Hover your mouse over the content block and click the "menu icon" --> choose "Edit" Note: Make sure to "Publish" your content after editing it in order to see the change reflected on the web page.
2920) Click "design" at the top of the Ektron toolbar to add some more widgets to the page. Click "Widgets".