Violation of these standards constitutes unacceptable use of computing resources and may violate other University policies and/or state and federal law. Suspected Suspected or known violations should be reported to the Information Security Manager , the Vice President of Student Affairs, and/or the Chief of Police of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Violations immediately. Violations will be processed and adjudicated by the UMES Judicial System (for students), the UMES Grievance Committee (Faculty), the Office of Administrative Affairs (Staff) and/or law enforcement agencies. Violations Violations may result in revocation of computing resource privileges, academic dishonesty, or Honor proceedings, as well as faculty, staff, or student disciplinary action or legal action.
- Altering system software or hardware configurations without authorization, or disrupting or interfering with the delivery or administration of computer resources.
- Attempting to access or accessing another’s account, private files, or –email without the owner’s permission.
- Misrepresenting oneself as another individual in electronic communication.
- Installing, copying, distributing, or using software in violation of: copyright and/or software agreements; applicable state and federal laws or the principles described in ”Using Software: A Guide to the Ethical and Legal Use of Software for Members of the Academic Community.”
- Using computing resources for commercial or profit-making purposes without written authorization from the University.
- Using computing resources to engage in conduct that interferes with other users’ use of share computer resources and/or the activities of other users.
- Failing to adhere to individual departmental or unit lab and system policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Allowing access to computer resources by unauthorized users.
- Using computer resources for illegal activities.
- Not ensuring that one’s use does not generate an inordinate amount of traffic that adversely affects others.
- Attaching more than one computer to their data jack. Multiple machines or hubs are not permittedNon UMES managed network devices (hubs, switches, access points, etc) are not authorized to connect to the UMES network.